Jorginho’s penalty at the Stadio Olimpico helped secure Italy’s place at the finals of Euro 2020Paris, France | AFP | Italy became the second team to qualify for Euro 2020 after a 2-0 win over Greece on Saturday, while three-time champions Spain edged closer to the finals despite conceding a stoppage-time equaliser away to Norway.Chelsea midfielder Jorginho dispatched a second-half penalty as Italy, wearing green kits for just the second time in history, registered a seventh straight win in Group J.The Azzurri, who failed to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, added a second in Rome on 78 minutes through a deflected strike from Juventus forward Federico Bernardeschi.Roberto Mancini’s side joined Belgium in the draw for next year’s finals, where Italy will play their first two group games at the Stadio Olimpico.“We managed to create a team in a short period of time. It wasn’t easy but you have to thank the players, who have quickly developed an understanding between themselves,” said Mancini, who took over as Italy coach 18 months ago.“It’s a team with character that fights and plays with the ball but one that must also improve. Now we have a year to try and get better.“We have a lot of work but we’re not very far from the best European teams. I’m happy and proud to have helped the national team come through a tough patch.”Spain dropped their first points in Group F as Joshua King converted a 94th-minute spot-kick to rescue a 1-1 draw for Norway following a foul by goalkeeper Kepa Arrizabalaga on Omar Elabdellaoui.Sergio Ramos broke the Spanish international appearances record as he won his 168th cap in Oslo to overtake Iker Casillas.The visitors led when Saul Niguez slammed home from 20 yards moments after half-time but Spain were denied a seventh win in a row as King’s equaliser kept Norway in the running.“It’s a real pain to lose points in the final seconds. It’s complicated to play against a team who knew that if they lost they were pretty much out,” said Spain captain Ramos.Norway last qualified for a major tournament at the 2000 European Championship and are fourth in the group, four points adrift of neighbours Sweden with three games to play. Sebastian Larsson netted two spot-kicks as Sweden cruised to a 4-0 rout of Malta to reclaim second place behind Spain. Marcus Danielson broke the deadlock on 11 minutes in Ta’ Qali and home skipper Andrei Agius also scored an own goal.Romania remain a point behind Sweden following a 3-0 win in the Faroe Islands secured by second-half goals from George Puscas, Ionut Mitrita and Claudiu Keseru.– Schmeichel denies Switzerland –Kasper Schmeichel produced a series of excellent saves as Denmark defeated Switzerland 1-0 to climb level with the Republic of Ireland in Group D.Leicester City goalkeeper Schmeichel pulled off superb stops to deny Granit Xhaka, Admir Mehmedi and Ricardo Rodriguez before Yussuf Poulsen grabbed an 84th-minute winner for Denmark in Copenhagen.The Danes moved up to 12 points alongside group leaders Ireland, who drew 0-0 away to Georgia, while Switzerland are four points off the pace but with a game in hand.“We battled for the whole game, there was a tremendous atmosphere. I think that was one of my best performances for Denmark,” said Schmeichel.Mick McCarthy’s Ireland couldn’t establish any momentum earlier in the day in Tbilisi and were left frustrated by wayward finishing from their few opportunities to break the deadlock.Bosnia and Herzegovina reignited their qualification hopes in Italy’s group with a 4-1 win over second-placed Finland.A brace from Juventus midfielder Miralem Pjanic and goals from Izet Hajrovic and Armin Hodzic pushed Bosnia to within two points of Finland.Armenia blew the chance to move level with the Finns as Liechtenstein substitute Yanik Frick cancelled out Tigran Barseghyan’s effort in a 1-1 draw in Vaduz.Share on: WhatsApp
25 Jan 2014 USA victory for Annabel Dimmock England international Annabel Dimmock (pictured) has scored the biggest win of her career with a one-hole victory in the final of the Jones Doherty Cup, the final individual event on the 2014 Orange Blossom Tour in Florida. The 17-year-old from Wentworth is the second English player to win this prestigious event in the last three years, following in the footsteps of Charley Hull, who took the title in 2011. Annabel, who was seeded fifth, romped through the championship at the Coral Ridge County Club, winning her first three matches by wide margins – 6/4, 5/3, 6/4 – and defeating the top seed in the semi-finals. The final proved more testing and went the full 18 holes before she defeated the third seed, Isabella DiLiso from Florida, by one hole. Annabel was down after the first two holes, but she was soon back on level terms and for the rest of the tight match she mostly held the advantage. “I just grinded it out,” she said. Annabel’s win puts the seal on a very successful performance on the Orange Blossom Tour. Last week she was runner-up in the SALLY, the South Atlantic women’s amateur championship on the Orange Blossom Tour in Florida. In the previous week’s tournament, the Harder Hall Invitational, she finished 14th. Her success will propel her up the world rankings and boost her hopes of Curtis Cup selection. The top four in the World Amateur Golf Rankings (WAGR) will gain automatic selection to the team, as will the top two in the LGU Order of Merit who have not qualified through the WAGR. Annabel made her debut for the England ladies’ team in last year’s Home Internationals and was also in England’s winning team at the Girls’ Home Internationals. She was runner-up in the English girls’ championship and reached final qualifying for the 2013 women’s British Open.
Facebook6Tweet0Pin0 Garden Courte Memory Care is collecting photos of how you wear your purple on April 12.According to the Washington National Guard Child & Youth Program, there are currently more than 1.7 million military children under the age of 18 in the United States, over 50,000 of those in Washington State. This is a sobering statistic but one everyone can support on Thursday, April 17 for this year’s Purple Up! For Military Kids.Locally hosted by Olympia’s Garden Courte Memory Care Community, Purple Up! honors families from all branches of service by blending their uniform colors into a festive purple. Everyone is invited to wear their purplest clothing, be it shirt, dress, socks, or headband…every little bit counts.The website dosomething.org is a group of almost 3 million young adults who eagerly engage for meaningful causes and social change. Their statistics on military families are powerful: since 2001, over 2 million children have had a parent deployed at least once and military families relocate approximately every 2-3 years. This makes the normal struggles of growing up that much harder.By the simple act of wearing purple, military families can readily see how the community bands together to celebrate their struggles, sacrifice, and strength. Garden Courte is asking local residents to send their ‘Purple Pictures’ via email email@example.com) for inclusion on their Facebook and Pinterest pages. They hope to build a tremendous online photo gallery full of supportive comments, photos, and good wishes.April is the month of the military child and that’s a cause we can all support. Garden Courte has long hosted fundraisers supporting Thurston County families, currently accepting coats for kids in partnership with the Little Red Schoolhouse and food to fill shelves for Senior Services ‘Meals on Wheels.’Any questions about this event or any other hosted by Garden Courte can be directed to 360-339-5080. No matter where you spend Thursday, April 17, make sure you’re grateful, thankful, and very, very purple!
ARCADIA, Calif. (March 24, 2019)–With CHRB approval expected this Thursday, Santa Anita Park will reopen for live racing on Friday, March 29 and the Grade II, $200,000 San Luis Rey Stakes will headline proceedings, with first post time at 1 p.m. Santa Anita, which has been closed for live racing since March 3, has also issued a revised stakes schedule, with eight stakes, six of them graded, relocated on what will be a busy racing calendar. As part of the revised schedule, the 82nd running of the Grade I, $600,000 Santa Anita Handicap, which was originally scheduled for March 9, will now be run on Santa Anita Derby Day, Saturday, April 6. With the Grade I, $1 million Santa Anita Derby leading the way April 6, Santa Anita will also offer a third Grade I stakes, the $400,000 Santa Anita Oaks. Also on Santa Anita Derby Day, the Grade II, $200,000 Royal Heroine and the Grade III, $150,000 Providencia will be complemented by two additional stakes, the $200,000 Evening Jewel and the Echo Eddie, making for a total of seven added money events on what will no doubt be a blockbuster afternoon on April 6. Along with the Santa Anita Handicap, two other graded stakes originally scheduled for Big ‘Cap Day, March 9, have been rescheduled and will now be included in a total of six graded stakes to be run on Saturday, March 30, as the Grade I, $400,000 Frank E. Kilroe Mile (turf) and the Grade II, $200,000 San Carlos will also be joined by the Grade I, $400,000 Beholder Mile (originally scheduled for March 16), the Grade III, $100,000 San Simeon (originally scheduled for March 16), and the Grade III, $100,000 Santa Ana Stakes. Horsemen have also been advised that the following stakes, which were also originally scheduled to be run during Santa Anita’s period of inactivity, have been rescheduled. The $100,000 Irish O’Brien has been moved to March 31, as has the $100,000 Sensational Star and the $75,000 Santana Mile. Entries for Friday, March 29 will be taken on Sunday, March 24. For a complete listing of Santa Anita’s remaining Winter/Spring Stakes Schedule, please visit santaanita.com. SANTA ANITA HANDICAP NOW TO BE RUN ON SANTA ANITA DERBY DAY, APRIL 6, AS SANTA ANITA ANNOUNCES REVISED RACING & STAKES SCHEDULE; TRACK TO REOPEN FOR LIVE RACING ON FRIDAY, MARCH 29GRADE II, $200,000 SAN LUIS REY TO BE RUN ON MARCH 29; A TOTAL OF SIX GRADED STAKES, INCLUDING THE GRADE I KILROE MILE & THE GRADE I BEHOLDER MILE WILL BE RUN MARCH 30
NSL match commissioner Simon Kama said from the 13 franchise clubs that have shown their expression of interest, only ten teams will be selected.The ten franchises that will be granted approval must meet all the criteria set by the NSL board.Criteria include that the franchise clubs must be incorporated as a company and be registered with IPA and there is to be no conflict of ownership.Clubs must either have their home ground or demonstrate their ability to have their own ground within three years.They must also be able to adequately demonstrate their ability to meet all financial commitments during the season.Upon approval, the franchises must pay the annual affiliation fee of K60 000 which is payable before 30 October.The announcement of playing venues is also expected to be announced during this time.
English Premier League StandingsSTANDINGSPOS LP CLUB P W D L GF GA GD PTS1 (1) Leicester City 23 13 8 2 42 26 16 472 (2) Manchester City 23 13 5 5 45 23 22 443 (3) Arsenal 23 13 5 5 37 22 15 444 (4) Tottenham Hotspur 23 11 9 3 41 19 22 425 (5) Manchester United 23 10 7 6 28 21 7 376 (6) West Ham United 23 9 9 5 36 28 8 367 (7) Liverpool 23 9 7 7 30 32 -2 348 (8) Southampton 23 9 6 8 32 24 8 339 (9) Stoke City 23 9 6 8 24 25 -1 3310 (10) Watford 23 9 5 9 27 26 1 3211 (11) Crystal Palace 23 9 4 10 24 27 -3 3112 (12) Everton 23 6 11 6 40 34 6 2913 (14) Chelsea 23 7 7 9 32 34 -2 2814 (13) West Bromwich Albion 23 7 7 9 22 30 -8 2815 (17) Swansea City 23 6 7 10 22 31 -9 2516 (15) Bournemouth 23 6 7 10 27 38 -11 2517 (16) Norwich City 23 6 5 12 28 43 -15 2318 (18) Newcastle United 23 5 6 12 25 41 -16 2119 (19) Sunderland 23 5 4 14 28 46 -18 1920 (20) Aston Villa 23 2 7 14 18 38 -20 13
Belgium-based Jamaican winger Leon Bailey is expected to undergo a medical on Friday ahead of a move to German club Bayer Leverkusen. According to reports today the 19-year-old Bailey has agreed personal terms with the Bundesliga club. However, Bayer Leverkusen are yet to finalise a final fee with Genk for the player. Bayer Leverkusen could pay in excess of £10 million up front for Bailey.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says it will today, May 29, begin the transfer of its archives to the Center for National Documents and Records Agency (CNDRA) in Monrovia. According to a Foreign Ministry release, the decision was taken consistent with an Act passed by the National Legislature in 1977, which gives the CNDRA the responsibility to manage all archives within the Republic of Liberia.Meeting at the Foreign Ministry on Tuesday, May 26, officials of the Foreign Ministry and CNDRA including Minister Augustine Ngafuan, the Co-Chairperson of the Land Commission, Hon. Walter Y. Wisner and CNDRA Director General, P. Bloh Sayeh, agreed to effect the transfer of the archival records to satisfy the requirement of the law. Speaking during the meeting, Minister Ngafuan expressed joy over the exercise terming it as a history making event and noting that the last time documents were transferred from the Foreign Ministry archives was in 1977. He said he was pleased to see this happen again especially where the CNDRA has acquired modern and technical capacity to preserve Liberia’s historic records. For her part, Director Sayeh praised the Foreign Ministry for its decision to satisfy the requirement of the law. She assured that records from the Foreign Ministry will be preserved.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – B.C. Hockey’s peewee tier two provincials are being held in Fort St. John with the tournament officially beginning yesterday. The Fort St. John Ross H. MacLean Flyers were on the ice in the final game of the day, and while they put in a solid effort against what’s expected to be one of the top teams of the event, they lost to Greater Vernon 10-2.Vernon held a 3-0 lead after the opening frame but the Flyers had a strong start to the second period. They scored twice in the first five minutes to close to within one. Towards the end of the second Vernon was able to get the goals back to lead 5-2 after 40 minutes.Despite Vernon putting up a five spot in the third period, the frame was relatively balanced. They scored their five goals in a 3:17 span towards the end of the contest.- Advertisement -Scoring for the Flyers were James Kitney, and Tavish Parkhurst.The team is back at it for their second game of the event at 3:45 this afternoon when they’ll take on North Delta.
The Fort St. John RCMP detachment is looking for suspects that caused damage to local vehicles. On April 4th, officers responded to a complaint of mischief at an apartment building in the 8500 block of 89th Avenue. – Advertisement -Police discovered that a number of vehicles had been vandalized at some point overnight. The vehicles had scratches etched into their paint, and various mirrors and other parts were broken. The suspects entered one vehicle and removed some welding rods, which police believe were the tools that caused most of the damage.The Mounties are now looking for the public’s assistance in determining who is responsible for this damage. Anyone with information relating to this crime or any other crime is asked to contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.Advertisement By Energeticcity.ca staff